Skip to main content

Featured

Weary

 Weary. That is how my soul feels right now. And not only mine. The whole world is weary. Like a groaning thing on its last legs. Most must have had enough of me in the past days. Just posted yesterday, now posting again. And it is still not the next chapter of my story. But I have to. When led to do something, do it.  I do not want any blood on my hands. Go look it up in the Bible, you will understand. So, here I am. Weariness; just like said in the Bible, during the end times the people will feel exhausted. And I feel it everyday and even right now, while writing, I feel it. Believe me when I say that I get through each day by God's strength only. He is the one making sure I get through the day and do the things that need to be done. I would have given up long ago. And that is why, I think, I was led to write this. Jesus knows His children are weary. He looks at us enduring everyday as the wickedness and evilness increases by the hour. Some thinking, 'why is He not here yet?...

C.R chapter 3

 Chapter 3

For the next few days, Cécille was dragged to various places and tried on so many things that it all became a blur to her. She couldn't even remember half of the places she went to.

Her Dear father, the traitor, had all but abandoned her to Myrtille's frenzy and taken refuge in his office under the guise of urgent work.

"Urgent work he said! Last time I went to spy on him he was eating pie while reading a book by the window! No paperwork,whatsoever, in sight!" Cécille grumbled under her breath as Myrtille and Martha fussed over shoes.

Thank the heavens that the dress was already chosen! That was a nightmare she never wanted to go through again!

"My Lady, which of those three pairs do you prefer?" Martha asked whilst presenting said shoes.

Cécille let out a brief sigh, " and like I keep telling you, it really is of no importance! The shoes are going to be covered and out of sight! I have a pair in my closet that would make do!"

"Absolutely not Lady Cécille! Your shoes would peak through whilst getting in and out of the carriage and using the stairs! The ones you refer to are quite old and are not up to par to the dress!" Myrtille scolded with a scandalised expression.

" Then I will leave the choice to your expertise because I do not have any preference! As long as it is comfortable, I am agreeable to anything." Cécille said with exasperation.

She had be woken at an ungodly hour and dragged through various boutiques. It was now approaching noon and all she wanted to do was rest her feet and fill her empty stomach!

After the shoes were bought, Cécille quickly asked Martha to recommend a quiet place with good food to sate their hunger.

As the place was quite near, fortunately, the ladies decided to walk there. Along the way, Cécille saw some interesting shops and decided to go peruse them after their lunch or tomorrow after she had some much needed rest.

After a mere five minutes, Martha stopped a few meters away from a brick white building with vines crawling all over it.

Martha turned to address them, " this restaurant is called Le Pavillon Lady Cécille. They are one of the best restaurant in the city, offering a charming and quiet atmosphere together with delectable food. Lord Hugo frequently dines here when he is sojourning in Euterpe."

Myrtille gave the building a puzzling look, "it is quite plain, isn't it?"

Martha gave her a slight smile, "believe it or not, it was purposely made that way. Do not be deceived, the interior is completely different from what the front indicates. Specially the back. I shall leave you here. I will be having lunch at my usual place a few buildings away. At what time shall we convene?"

" Oh, I think I remember father telling me about it! I remember he was quite fond of the place...Anyway, one hour from now should be enough Martha." Cécille replied. "Are you sure you do not want to join us?"

Martha gave a slight bow, " thank you for the invitation Lady Cécille, but as I have told your father before, it would be most inappropriate! I shall wait for you here at the designated time. I wish you both a 'Bon Appetit'."

Cécille gave a rueful shake of her head before walking towards the building. The doorman quickly held the door open at seeing them and greeted them with a bow. Cécille and Myrtille greeted him back and expressed their thanks.

As soon as they entered, a Maitre D'hotel quickly came to them to take their coats, " Welcome to Le Pavillon Ladies. Would you like to dine inside or outside? "

Both Myrtille and Cécille gasped as they left the foyer. Martha had not lied. The inside told a completely different story.

"It is so magical!" Myrtille murmured, completely enraptured.

Cécille was also completely enchanted as she replied, "it really is... So many details put into the decoration and atmosphere. It invokes a dream-like feeling; as if this was another reality..."

The room was light and airy with a very high ceiling. From there plants hung low, intertwined with crystal of all shapes and delicate colours. Light airy fabrics were draped around and hid each booth, providing an illusion of privacy. And in the background, it was completely open to the garden. From where they stood, they could see the many pavillons hidden amongst the many trees and flowers.

Even the furniture was carved with delicate and whimsical motifs. At just one glance, this place looked like the dreamscape of someone.

"The outside represents reality and the interior is a dream...." Cécille murmured.

The Maitre D'hotel chuckled and gave Cécille a genuine smile, " it is quite rare for guests to get it on the first time. You must be quite apt at reading people, Milady."

Myrtille blinked, " oh! So it really was done on purpose!"

The Maitre D'hotel chuckled, " the unassuming front? Yes it was. The owner is quite eccentric and whimsical. He said that only those who dared to ignore the plain facade and enter deserved to discover the beauty inside. He wanted to create a sort of escape for people. And for himself too, I dare think. Regardless of testimonies, many are sceptical when they see the building and walk away to look for more, ah.. ostentatious ones, should we say? This restaurant built its reputation by word of mouth and has quite a loyal clientele that are quite protective of the space that can provide them with some respite. In fact, I would say that this restaurant is quite selfishly guarded. So, you must have been guided here by one of our loyal clients."

" Yes, this was recommended to us by my father's head servant Martha. She said that he often dines here." Cécille replied.

"May I enquire about the gentleman's name?"

"Of course. It is Romarin, Hugo Romarin." 

The Maitre D'hotel expression became more enthusiastic, " Lord Romarin! I did see the resemblance but did not dare to assume! Are you Lady Cécille? Lord Romarin's daughter?"

Cécille gave him a gentle smile, " yes I am. And beside me is Myrtille, my Companion. Happy to make your acquaintance, sir."

The Maitre D'hotel gave a deep bow, " the pleasure is all mine Lady Cécille, Miss Myrtille. Lord Romarin is one of our most beloved guest and has talked about you quite often. You too, Miss Myrtille. My name is Guillaume. Please do not hesitate to address me directly."

Myrtille flusteredly gave a quick curtsy, " I am happy to make your acquaintance too Guillaume."

Guillaume gave a big smile that made his black eyes sparkle, " now, I have taken enough of your time. Now that i know you are Lord Romarin's daughter, would like me to show you to his favourite Pavillon?"

Cécille perked up and happily replied, " that would be a most fine arrangement, Guillaume. Thank you."

They were promptly guided towards a pavillon surrounded by all sorts of yellow flowers.

After they had settled, Guillaume gave them the menu before taking his leave.

"This place is really lovely!" Myrtille chirped as she perused the menu.

"It really is. And the food offered looks quite tantalising too." Cécille replied back.

They quickly selected their dish and gave the order to the waiter.

Myrtille gazed around as she enquired, "I wonder why Lord Hugo is fond of the pavillon with the yellow scheme."

Cécille gave an impolite scoff, " do you even have to ask Myrtille dear? Of course it is because they remind him of mother's eyes."

Myrtille sighed ruefully, " I should have known. It is endearing how much Lord Hugo loves your mother. It makes one hope and wonder, doesn't it?"

"It really does." Cécille smiled wistfully as she gazed at the yellow flowers. " But it is one in a million chance. We should count ourselves blessed to have at least witnessed it personally. Not all can find the ideal partner. Others have to content themselves with one that comes close to it. Or some don't even have that chance. They are obligated to put up with the worst because they do not have the choice."

Myrtille bowed head hid her expression, "indeed...."

Cécille quickly snapped out of the morose mood, " come now, Myrtille. Let us not allow past things spoil our mood and this good atmosphere. Let us enjoy this magnificent view and hope the food is just as good, shall we?"

Myrtille laughed as she nodded.

They did not have to wait long for the food to arrive. And as Martha had assured, the food was absolutely delectable.

Both ladies were quite stuffed and satisfied as they left the restaurant. Myrtille and Cécille groaned in unison as they reached Martha who had been waiting for them at the designated place.

They both stood up straighter as Martha directed a reproachful look towards them.

"Ate too much?" The latter asked.

Cécille tried not to groan again as she felt her overly full stomach, "we may have indulged a little too much."

Myrtille just nodded in silence as she massaged her stomach.

Martha's lips pinched together severely, " you both are old enough to know when to stop, do you not? Let us hope that this does not lead to indigestion! Come now! Let us walk around to try to aid digestion. As soon as that is done we shall go back to the house for soothing tea!"

Both ladies grimaced at the scolding and followed behind her brisk steps whilst sharing commiserating looks.

At least now they had learned that Le Pavillon was a trap to the wallet and to the stomach.

And so, both ladies tried not to waddle as they followed sheepishly behind Martha along the cobbled streets.




Prev|TOC|Next

Comments

Popular Posts