Skip to main content

Featured

Weary

 Weary. That is how my soul feels right now. And not only mine. The whole world is weary. Like a groaning thing on its last legs. Most must have had enough of me in the past days. Just posted yesterday, now posting again. And it is still not the next chapter of my story. But I have to. When led to do something, do it.  I do not want any blood on my hands. Go look it up in the Bible, you will understand. So, here I am. Weariness; just like said in the Bible, during the end times the people will feel exhausted. And I feel it everyday and even right now, while writing, I feel it. Believe me when I say that I get through each day by God's strength only. He is the one making sure I get through the day and do the things that need to be done. I would have given up long ago. And that is why, I think, I was led to write this. Jesus knows His children are weary. He looks at us enduring everyday as the wickedness and evilness increases by the hour. Some thinking, 'why is He not here yet?...

C.R chapter 9

John 17:14-16


14 I have given them your word, and the world has hated them, because they are not of the world, just as I am not of the world. 

15 I do not ask you take them out of the world, but that you protect them from the evil one. 

16 They are not of the world, just as I am not of the world.




Chapter 9


In the dim room, illuminated by one flimsy candle, Cécille and Clementine sat closely on a small sofa. Opposite them, Alden and Raulf sat in their respective armchairs; backs kept straight by the gothic-looking furniture.


Bizarrely, they both looked at home on the contraption.


Both side stared at each other in silence; still digesting what had just happened.


Alden carelessly studied Cécille's dazed expression. She has been sporting it for quite a while now.... At least her shoes were back in place, accomplishing the function for which they were created for.


No help would come from that side, it would seem.


A glance at his side showed Raulf's pinched face, as if he had swallowed an extremely bitter pickle. 


As expected from this side. 


He removed his gaze and directed it towards the remaining occupant of the room.


A face full of remorse and guilt is what greeted him. The source of this ridiculous situation just sat there; fidgeting.


He let out a sigh. 


Clearly, he was going to have to be the one to push things along. 


Again.


He reluctantly spoke up, "do pray tell, Lady Clementine, why you have been going around calling your betrothed, with whom your are bosom buddies might I add, your 'acquaintance'; as you so delicately put it."


And to himself he questioned why he was always the one having to act as the conjugal counsellor?


Clementine fidgeted even more in response and cautiously peeked at Raulf's face.


He was still angry.


And quite a bit hurt.


She wanted to explain herself but hesitated.


Alden scrutinised her expression stoically and abruptly stood up. He took long steps towards the door and called out, "Lady Cécille. Could I trouble you to accompany me outside for a few minutes, if you please?"


Cécille finally snapped out of her daze and belatedly read the room. It would seem like the two needed to clear the air between them. 


Time to make herself scarce! She absolutely did not want to be witness of that discussion!


She sprang to her feet like a startled hare and rapidly agreed, "of course, Sir! It would be a pleasure! Clementine I shall be right outside. Do call if you need anything."


Without even waiting for a response, she practically sprinted to the door.


Clementine apprehensively watched the door close behind their backs and turned to face the remaining person in the room.


She had messed up. 


Now it was time to clear things up.


Once outside, the other two walked a few distances away and stopped at a window facing the gardens.


Cécille kept a respectable distance between them and fixed her eyes on the scenery, as if her life depended on it.


Alden stood straight with his arms crossed behind his back.


His eyes roved pointlessly over the landscape for a brief moment before coming to rest on his companion.


She stood there awkwardly, bathed in moonlight, with her fingers tapping restlessly on the window sill and her face fixed in one direction.


"Are you wroth?"


Cécille was ashamed to admit that she jumped a bit at the sudden question. She blinked, puzzled, "pardon?"


"Do you feel anger towards Clementine for her 'deception' ?"


Cécille turned to face him with a frown," deception?"


"Yes."


"That is too harsh of a word to use in this situation, isn't it?"


"Is it? I find it intriguing that you do not see it as such."


"I do not believe that Clementine meant any harm. We just met a few weeks ago! Why would she divulge such sensitive information to a near stranger?! 

If we had been friends for years, then yes, that would have been deception. But that is not the case. Maybe she behaved as such purely to protect herself? There are a lot of women out there waging war just to be in the same room as Duke Earlgrey. So I understand the need for secrecy. 

And Clementine is still a young, inexperienced woman. In the face of such vicious competition, it is quite normal for one to feel unsure of the development of their betrothal. 

In fact, they are both at fault in this. Clementine should have communicated her fears and The Duke should have known to reassure her in the face of his extreme popularity. I do hope that he already has contingency plans in place for when his betrothed status is revealed."


Alden looked at her deeply before saying, "so you do understand. Quite intuitive, are you not?"


Cécille was taken aback, "what do you mean? ....Could it be that you purposely insinuated that I was deceived?"


"I just inferred that this was what most would feel in such a situation and asked."


Cécille turned her body fully in his direction and gave him an incredulous look. With a humourless laugh she asked, "you said that to gauge my reaction?"


Alden with his arms still crossed behind his back, slightly turned his body towards her. Then with a straight face he replied, "I did."


"Why?"


"Why?" Alden echoed with a raised eyebrow.


Cécille nodded woodenly.


"Why would anyone? Of course, it is to probe the character of the person and to infer as to their intensions."


"Oh? Do you, perhaps, 'probe' every person you encounter?"


"Do I? I shall leave it to your own judgement."


"You look like you do."


"Then it is as you said."


"Would you lose anything from answering such a simple question?"


"I certainly would not gain anything from doing so."


"You are quite an aggravating man, for sure!"


"Certainly, that is what most do agree about me."


Cécille threw him a dirty look and lightly stomped to the next window a few feet away.


If she stayed near him, she was afraid she would stomp on his feet instead of the floor!


A charismatic man he was, for sure, but a most frustrating one too!


Alden glanced at her puffed up face and quirked his lips.


How entertaining.


When the door opened a few minutes later, it was this scene that greeted Clementine. A quick glance at Cécille's expression and she immediately understood.


"Do you always have to be so aggravating, Sir Alden?"


" 'Tis a gift Milady. You should know better by now."


Raulf appeared behind Clementine and gave his two cents, "you and your distorted sense of entertainment. I do hope that you did not go too far, Alden. Cécille is Clementine's friend and we shall be crossing roads even more in the future. It would be good not to sour things up, wouldn't you say so?"


Alden gave him a dismissive glance," I have a perfectly functioning brain. I just asked a simple question. The lady is a bit sensitive."


Cécille's neck snapped towards him." excuse me?!"


Clementine seeing Cécille gearing up to kick him quickly linked her arm with hers.


"Come now, Cécille! Forget about him! The more you react the more he finds it entertaining! Let us go back to the festivities. Surely our parents are looking for us by now?"


Cécille stifled her annoyance and allowed Clementine to lead her away.


It is true that her father must be worried at her absence by now. Better go reassure him than entertain this infuriating man!


Raulf side-eyed his friend's amused expression and lassitudinously shook his head.


"And that is why most ladies run away when they see you. Pity that it is not much of a deterrent when you are with me."


He quickly followed behind the ladies' steps before Alden could reply.


The latter squinted his eyes at his back and briskly shadowed him, "I knew It! Every time you asked me to accompany you to dinner was to use me as a barrier! And you even dared to deny it before!"


"I did not see you complaining when you were stuffing your face with most expensive dish you could find on the menu! Besides, you already knew. So why bother asking?"


"To see if you would lie to my face and for how long!"


"Not much of a lie when I know you are aware and that you know I am aware of you knowing, is it?"


"Semantics!"


"So are you planning to refuse next time I invite you?"


"Only a fool refuses good expensive food."


"Then stop complaining! I am using you and you are using me! We each get something out of it! In fact, I am losing more!"


"You are not!"


"I do! You are not deterrent enough! The most persistent ones have developed the skill of blurring your presence from their minds!"


Alden had to concede that. " Well, there are always some unique minds around. Can't do anything about it. It is quite a talent they have, I do have to admit it."


"Why do I sense a smidgen of approval in your tone?! Is it something to admire?!"


" You have to admit that it is. Quite resourceful and cunning they are, those ladies."


"It is not! They are a complete nightmare for me!"


"Well that is your problem, is it not? Not mine. I am sure that you will find a solution in the far future!" 


With a last mocking smile, Alden lengthened his steps and left his poor friend behind with a face of utter betrayal on his face.


Ah, that dear old friend of his was quite entertaining too, Alden thought fondly as said friend dogged his steps while spewing arguments.






 Prev / TOC/ Next

Comments

Popular Posts